- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
IRS scandal and the theft of our democracy
Is it another of Barack Obama’s many lies when he states there’s “not a smidgen of corruption” in the IRS scandal? The evidence strongly points to an attempt by the Obama administration to stifle political opposition to his leftist plans. It seems he’s trying to steal our democracy.
One group that has been really harassed by the IRS is the Tea Party, an organization that strives to strengthen our ideals of self-governance. The cries that this group is racist, homophobic, sexist or any other such tripe is so far off base, a 3-year-old could pick any of them off first.
A group that was trying to keep our electoral process honest called “True the Vote” was invaded by not only the IRS, but also the FBI, OSHA and ATF. The only reason for opposition to voter ID must be to cheat the election results for a more liberal outcome.
This is very frightening to those who favor free discourse and fair elections as an integral part of our democracy.
Michael A. Smith
From the Aug. 13-19, 2014, issue