- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Recycle centers to accept new gym shoes for students in need
LOVES PARK, Illinois — Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) recycle centers in Rockford and Roscoe will accept new children’s gym shoes at a community drop-off site for Annie’s Locker Share A Pair campaign. Children’s sizes 12-4 gym shoes can be dropped off at 4665 Hydraulic Road, Rockford, and 13125 N. Second St., Roscoe, from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturdays, Aug. 23 and 30 and Sept. 6 and 13. The Rockford site is also open from 3 to 6 p.m., Tuesdays, accepting the athletic shoes Aug. 26, Sept. 2, 9 and 16.
As noted on the website annieslocker.org/share-a-pair-shoe-drive, the Share a Pair campaign goal is to collect 900 pairs of athletic footwear for needy students in Rockford. Prior to distribution to students, the donated shoes will be part of the “Walk in Other’s Shoes” labyrinth, which will be constructed to celebrate International Peace Day.
From the Aug. 13-19, 2014, issue