- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Recycle centers to accept new gym shoes for students in need
LOVES PARK, Illinois — Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) recycle centers in Rockford and Roscoe will accept new children’s gym shoes at a community drop-off site for Annie’s Locker Share A Pair campaign. Children’s sizes 12-4 gym shoes can be dropped off at 4665 Hydraulic Road, Rockford, and 13125 N. Second St., Roscoe, from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturdays, Aug. 23 and 30 and Sept. 6 and 13. The Rockford site is also open from 3 to 6 p.m., Tuesdays, accepting the athletic shoes Aug. 26, Sept. 2, 9 and 16.
As noted on the website annieslocker.org/share-a-pair-shoe-drive, the Share a Pair campaign goal is to collect 900 pairs of athletic footwear for needy students in Rockford. Prior to distribution to students, the donated shoes will be part of the “Walk in Other’s Shoes” labyrinth, which will be constructed to celebrate International Peace Day.
From the Aug. 13-19, 2014, issue