- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
- Tube Talk: A bite out of the competition
- Rockford Rocked: A chat with local musician Tony Walker
- Drafts & Fare: Women brewers find more recognition in market
Recycle centers to accept new gym shoes for students in need
LOVES PARK, Illinois — Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) recycle centers in Rockford and Roscoe will accept new children’s gym shoes at a community drop-off site for Annie’s Locker Share A Pair campaign. Children’s sizes 12-4 gym shoes can be dropped off at 4665 Hydraulic Road, Rockford, and 13125 N. Second St., Roscoe, from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturdays, Aug. 23 and 30 and Sept. 6 and 13. The Rockford site is also open from 3 to 6 p.m., Tuesdays, accepting the athletic shoes Aug. 26, Sept. 2, 9 and 16.
As noted on the website annieslocker.org/share-a-pair-shoe-drive, the Share a Pair campaign goal is to collect 900 pairs of athletic footwear for needy students in Rockford. Prior to distribution to students, the donated shoes will be part of the “Walk in Other’s Shoes” labyrinth, which will be constructed to celebrate International Peace Day.
From the Aug. 13-19, 2014, issue