- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Recycle centers to accept new gym shoes for students in need
LOVES PARK, Illinois — Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) recycle centers in Rockford and Roscoe will accept new children’s gym shoes at a community drop-off site for Annie’s Locker Share A Pair campaign. Children’s sizes 12-4 gym shoes can be dropped off at 4665 Hydraulic Road, Rockford, and 13125 N. Second St., Roscoe, from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturdays, Aug. 23 and 30 and Sept. 6 and 13. The Rockford site is also open from 3 to 6 p.m., Tuesdays, accepting the athletic shoes Aug. 26, Sept. 2, 9 and 16.
As noted on the website annieslocker.org/share-a-pair-shoe-drive, the Share a Pair campaign goal is to collect 900 pairs of athletic footwear for needy students in Rockford. Prior to distribution to students, the donated shoes will be part of the “Walk in Other’s Shoes” labyrinth, which will be constructed to celebrate International Peace Day.
From the Aug. 13-19, 2014, issue