- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Electronics recycling event set for Sept. 20 in Dixon, Illinois
From the Ogle County Solid Waste Management Department
The Ogle County Solid Waste Management Department (OCSWMD), in partnership with the Lee County Office of Solid Waste Management and Secure Recycling Services (SRS), will be conducting an electronic waste collection event from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 20. The event will be at the SRS facility at 629 Palmyra Road in Dixon, Illinois.
As of Jan. 1, 2012, the State of Illinois banned electronic devices from landfills to help protect the environment and so these valuable materials may be recycled. Obsolete electronic devices contain many recyclable materials, and also materials, such as heavy metals, that can harm our environment if not properly managed.
SRS is a local nonprofit company that is recognized by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) as an authorized collector, recycler and re-furbisher of electronic waste in Illinois. SRS provides data destruction, proper handling and de-manufacturing of electronics being recycled.
Items accepted at this event will be adding machines, answering machines, cameras, CDs/DVDs, CD players, CD-ROM drives, calculators, cell phones, computer cables, computers (desktop and laptop), computer monitors, credit card machines, disk players, DVD players, fax machines, floppy disk drives, ink cartridges, joy sticks, keyboards, main frames, medical equipment, microwaves ($10 fee per unit), modems, pagers, PDAs, postage machines, printers, projectors, scanners, servers, shredders, stereo equipment, tape drives, telephones, telephone systems, terminals, televisions, toner cartridges, VCRs, video game equipment, and zip drives.
Computers often contain highly personal information. Before donating or recycling your computer or memory device, clean the hard drive. OCSWMD and SRS assumes no responsibility to protect any electronic data remaining in electronics recycled through this program. For instructions about removing data from your hard drive go to, www.oglecounty.org.
This event is intended for residential electronic waste generated from local households. For electronic waste generated from businesses, contact the OCSWMD for recycling options.
This collection event is in addition to the monthly drop-off program of electronics for Ogle County residents on the last Friday of the month from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the OCSWMD.
For more information or questions regarding this event, contact the OCSWMD office at (815) 732-4020 or visit www.oglecounty.org.
From the Aug. 20-26, 2014, issue