- Remember, fireworks are dangerous
- Wallace asks citizens to fight cuts
- Dispute over state payroll rolls on
- Why fight over free trade confounds partisan divide
- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
Volunteers work to improve Hennepin Canal Trail
ROCK FALLS, Illinois — Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 23-24, volunteers will be working to improve the Hennepin Canal Trail in Rock Falls, Illinois. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. and work will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days. Volunteers of all ages are welcome with the proper accompaniment of an adult chaperon. Insurance waivers must be signed by all volunteers.
Sunday, 15 volunteers from the Illinois National Guard will be assisting in the projects.
Volunteers are being asked to bring along dirt shovels, garden rakes, pick axes and brooms.
List of projects includes the following:
1. Fix potholes and root damage on the Hennepin Canal Trail.
2. Paint the large barn along the Hennepin Canal.
3. Power wash the lock at the head of the Hennepin Canal.
4. Paint the guard rails at the entry points to the canal.
5. Paint the walls underneath the bridge(s).
Those wishing to participate should meet at the Hennepin Canal Lock. Lunch is at 1 p.m. Direct all questions to Rock Falls Tourism at (815) 380-2300 or visit www.volunteerrockfalls.com.
From the Aug. 20-26, 2014, issue