- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Volunteers work to improve Hennepin Canal Trail
ROCK FALLS, Illinois — Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 23-24, volunteers will be working to improve the Hennepin Canal Trail in Rock Falls, Illinois. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. and work will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days. Volunteers of all ages are welcome with the proper accompaniment of an adult chaperon. Insurance waivers must be signed by all volunteers.
Sunday, 15 volunteers from the Illinois National Guard will be assisting in the projects.
Volunteers are being asked to bring along dirt shovels, garden rakes, pick axes and brooms.
List of projects includes the following:
1. Fix potholes and root damage on the Hennepin Canal Trail.
2. Paint the large barn along the Hennepin Canal.
3. Power wash the lock at the head of the Hennepin Canal.
4. Paint the guard rails at the entry points to the canal.
5. Paint the walls underneath the bridge(s).
Those wishing to participate should meet at the Hennepin Canal Lock. Lunch is at 1 p.m. Direct all questions to Rock Falls Tourism at (815) 380-2300 or visit www.volunteerrockfalls.com.
From the Aug. 20-26, 2014, issue