- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
Chuck Jefferson retirement party tonight
The public is welcome to attend a retirement celebration for former state Rep. Chuck Jefferson from 4-7 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 21, at Cliffbreakers, 700 W. Riverside Blvd., Rockford.
Jefferson, 69, announced his retirement July 1. He was a five-term member of the Illinois legislature, replacing Doug Scott when he was elected mayor of Rockford in 2001. Jefferson was also a 10-year member of the Winnebago County Board.
He has been succeeded by Litesa Wallace, his former chief of staff. Wallace will serve out the rest of Jefferson’s term that expires next year.