- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Egyptian Theatre’s ‘Ride Like An Egyptian’ bike ride set for Sept. 13
DEKALB, Illinois — The Egyptian Theatre’s seventh annual “Ride Like An Egyptian” bicycle recreational ride will be Saturday, Sept. 13. Begun in 2008, this fun annual benefit ride attracts cyclists from all over the Midwest. The ride begins and ends at the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St., in downtown DeKalb, Illinois. Riders have the option of riding 25, 50, 75 or 100 miles throughout east-central DeKalb County and west-central Kane County. The ride features a well-stocked central rest stop in Maple Park.
Routes are clearly marked, and rider-friendly integrated map/cue sheets will be provided the morning of the ride. This year’s ride again features radio-dispatched SAG (Support and Gear) courtesy of the Kishwaukee Amateur Radio Club. North Central Cyclery of DeKalb will again provide riders with pre-ride professional tech support during registration. Professional tech support during the ride at the central rest stop will be provided by The Bike Haven of McHenry.
An end-of-ride meal in the Egyptian Theatre lobby will be provided for registered riders and will feature an assortment of options. The end-of-ride meal has continued to receive rave reviews from riders through the years.
The preregistration cost for adults 16 and older is $25 ($30 after Aug. 30). The preregistration cost for youth younger than 16 is $5 ($10 after Aug. 30) with paid adult rider. Riders younger than 16 must ride with a participating parent or guardian. Registration can be done online at www.egyptiantheatre.org.
Registration the day of the ride is from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. in the Egyptian Theatre lobby. The ride closes at 3:30 p.m. The ride goes on rain or shine. Because of the charitable nature of this ride, there are no refunds offered. T-shirts in a variety of colors are available in advance for $10 ($12 after Aug. 30). Preregister and receive a ride logo decal for free.
The Egyptian Theatre is owned and operated by the Preservation of the Egyptian Theatre, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Proceeds from this benefit will be used for ongoing operation and preservation of the historic Egyptian Theatre. The Egyptian Theatre is a historic theater that opened in 1929. Seating 1,400, it features a variety of live events and classic films. Call (815) 758-1215 or visit the Egyptian Theatre’s website at www.egyptiantheatre.org.
Posted Aug. 27, 2014