LOVES PARK, Illinois — From 9 a.m. until noon, Saturday, Aug. 30, during Labor Day weekend, the Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) recycle centers in Rockford, at 4665 Hydraulic Road, and Roscoe, at 13125 N. Second St., will be open. The recycle centers are also accepting new children’s gym shoes, sizes 12-4, as a community drop-off site for Annie’s Locker Share A Pair through Sept. 16.
“We hope everyone keeps the environment in mind when celebrating with friends and family and provides bins for recycling,” said Lori Gummow, executive director of KNIB. “Sunday and Monday’s recyclables can be brought to the center next week; we’re open in Rockford on Tuesdays from 3-6 p.m. and every Saturday in both locations.”
The following clean (rinsed) items are always accepted at the two recycle centers:
• Glass containers: Food jars and bottles only. No caps or lids.
• Plastic containers: Bottles coded No. 1 and No. 2 with “necks and shoulders.” No caps or lids.
• Metal cans: Food cans only.
• Aluminum: Cans and scrap (foil, pie tins, etc.).
• Electronics and appliances: Anything with a cord, including cell phones, but no TVs or computer monitors; no items with Freon, such as dehumidifiers.
• Metals: Any type of steel or metal item, except no propane tanks.
• Bagged clothing: Wearable or not; shoes, belts, hats, throw rugs, curtains, linens, stuffed toys.
• Corrugated cardboard, flattened; no pizza boxes.
• Paper, in paper bags: newspapers, mail, office paper, phone books, spiral notebooks, chipboard and magazines.
Support for the Rockford Recycle Center is provided by UTC Aerospace. For more information or to volunteer at one of KNIB’s events, e-mail Martha Byrnes at Martha@knib.org or call (815) 637-1343.
Posted Aug. 27, 2014