- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Sounds of Good News: September begins with music fest, jazz concert
Sounds of Good News (SOGN) Productions is starting the month of September with a “bang,” with two exciting music shows.
The first show will be their Second Annual “SONGSPIRATION” Labor Day Music Fest, an idea they launched last year in lieu of the “On the Waterfront” Festival being discontinued. The show is from 6 to 9 p.m., Monday, Sept. 1, in Fisher Memorial Chapel on the grounds of Rockford University, 5050 E. State St. Music artists will include SOGN leaders, Carl and Dianna Cole, the “YES” Club Core Choir, Betty Pumphrey, as well as several other musicians and singers. An “Open-Mic” Talent Showcase at 8 p.m. will close out the evening. The event is free to the public. Donations will benefit the “Young Eagles Success” (YES) Club Vision of Character Excellence for Kids.
The second show will be in the Coles’ home town of Freeport, Illinois. “Jazzin’ It Up!” will begin at 7 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 13, at the Freeport Masonic Temple, 305 W. Stephenson St. The evening will be filled with “Favorites” featuring Carl and Dianna and the Fabulous SOGN Band, as well as a “Dueling Piano” segment with Rockford jazz pianist Dave Brambert, and a “Name-that-Tune” fun time with the audience. CD sales and proceeds will also benefit “YES” Club Children and Women’s Workshops in both Winnebago and Stephenson counties.
Posted Aug. 27, 2014