By Rod Cain
Prayer Event Coordinator
The Northern Illinois Red Ribbon Program will host our Third Annual Pray for the Children event from 7 to 8 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 12, at Northeast Christian Church, 5651 E. Riverside Blvd. It presents a time for people of all faiths to raise up in prayer, praying that our children will be drug-free, safe and healthy.
Children around the world are facing many complex problems in their life. They are being crushed by depression, bullying, abuse/neglect, alcohol and other drugs, Internet pornography, violent crime, suicide, premature sex, murder, social networking and others that are creating much darkness in their life.
We need to pray because:
• Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds.
• 1 in 3 U.S. students say they have been bullied at school.
• In Rockford, 22,000 students get free or reduced lunch, with schools being the main provider for their food.
• A report of child abuse or neglect is filed every 5 minutes, child sex abuse every two hours, and the death of a child by abuse or neglect every day-and-a-half.
• Drug abuse among our youth is an epidemic.
• Depression is common among many of our youth
Today, children are in peril, and this event promises them hope through intervention. Hope is a child’s right. It is also time to pray for families and caring others, that they may be the strength, support and wisdom to help our children.
The Power of Prayer is unequaled … prayer should be our first resort, not our last.
Posted Oct. 7, 2014