Red Ribbon’s Pray for the Children event Oct. 12
By Rod Cain
Prayer Event Coordinator
The Northern Illinois Red Ribbon Program will host our Third Annual Pray for the Children event from 7 to 8 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 12, at Northeast Christian Church, 5651 E. Riverside Blvd. It presents a time for people of all faiths to raise up in prayer, praying that our children will be drug-free, safe and healthy.
Children around the world are facing many complex problems in their life. They are being crushed by depression, bullying, abuse/neglect, alcohol and other drugs, Internet pornography, violent crime, suicide, premature sex, murder, social networking and others that are creating much darkness in their life.
We need to pray because:
• Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds.
• 1 in 3 U.S. students say they have been bullied at school.
• In Rockford, 22,000 students get free or reduced lunch, with schools being the main provider for their food.
• A report of child abuse or neglect is filed every 5 minutes, child sex abuse every two hours, and the death of a child by abuse or neglect every day-and-a-half.
• Drug abuse among our youth is an epidemic.
• Depression is common among many of our youth
Today, children are in peril, and this event promises them hope through intervention. Hope is a child’s right. It is also time to pray for families and caring others, that they may be the strength, support and wisdom to help our children.
The Power of Prayer is unequaled … prayer should be our first resort, not our last.
Posted Oct. 7, 2014