To ensure a safe Halloween for trick-or-treaters, the Rockford Police Department is warning parents that there are 472 registered sex offenders living in the city.
Police say it is important to learn where offenders reside in order to make informed choices when venturing out for candy Halloween night.
Law enforcement urges the community to keep the following information in mind:
- Registered sex-offender information is available at the following websites: Rockfordil.gov/police, Isp.state.il.us, and Familywatchdog.us.
- Child sex offenders are prohibited from participating in any holiday event involving children under the age of 18 including, but not limited to, distributing candy on Halloween. A complete listing of Illinois sex offender laws is available at Ilga.gov.
- Rockford Police Officers and Detectives will be monitoring the registered sex offenders on Halloween to make sure they are complying with the rules set forth by the statute.
- A parent, guardian or other responsible adult should always accompany all children while they are trick-or-treating.
- Report any suspected violations of the sex offender law or any other suspicious activity to the police immediately. The Rockford Police Department can be reached at (815) 987-5824 or by dialing 911.