Online Staff Report
Decorate your skull mask and shake your maracas! Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a family celebration, full of rich traditions that honor the cycle of life and death. Rockford Art Museum partners with Discovery Center, Rockford Dance Company, La Voz Latina and Burpee Museum of Natural History to present the Dia de los Muertos Festival from 1 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 1, at the Riverfront Museum Park campus, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Festival admission is $6 for adults, $4 for children ages 3-17, or $15 for the entire family. Festival admission includes all related events and activities plus half-off admission to participating museums.
1:30-2 p.m. — “Thinly Veiled” performance by Rockford Dance Company
2-2:30 p.m. — “Tlacololeros” interactive performance by Rockford Dance Company
2:30-3 p.m. — Performance by El Grupo de Ballet Folklorico de La Voz Latina
3-3:30 p.m. — Performance by El Grupo de Ballet Folklorico de La Voz Latina
3-3:45 p.m. — Bilingual story time with Rockford Public Library (stories told in English and Spanish)
Festival Art Activities (all day, from 1 to 4 p.m.)
• Make monarch butterflies and marigolds with Burpee Museum;
• Make dancing skeletons and skull masks with Discovery Center; and
• Decorate sugar skulls and face painting with Rockford Art Museum.
Festival art on view (all day, from 1 to 4 p.m.)
• Artwork by Hillman Elementary students;
• Artwork by Spring Creek Elementary students; and
• Ofrenda by local artist and art teacher Adriana Villagomez.
Food vendors on site
• Lucha Cantina, from noon to 2 p.m.;
• Fork & Stein, from noon to 2 p.m.; and
• Free samples of Pan de Muerto (Bread of the Dead) by Delicious Bakery, from 1 to 4 p.m.
For more details, contact Rockford Art Museum at (815) 968-2787; Discovery Center Museum at (815) 963-6769; Rockford Dance Company at (815) 963-3341; La Voz Latina at (815) 965-5784; or Burpee Museum of Natural History at (815) 965-3433.
Posted Oct. 29, 2014