Local artists hold holiday sale at Mendelssohn Nov. 8
The sixth annual “Art in the Family and Friends” holiday art show and sale will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 8, at Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, 406 N. Main St., downtown Rockford. The event is free and open to the public.
“We keep getting bigger and better,” local author and artist Karla Clark said of the show, which began in 2009 in her Rockford home.
Clark came up with the idea for the event as a way to show tribute to her father, Frank Manarchy, now deceased, a woodcarver who handcrafted ducks, fish and birds. The idea grew, and the 2014 show includes the work of 20 artists. “My father instilled creativity in all of us kids,” Clark said.
Joining the show are her three sisters: Linda Cleary, an award-winning quilter; Dana Manarchy, a mosaic artist; and Paula Sentovich, a singer-songwriter with two CDs to her credit.
“Many friends look forward to the show to find unique items to give as holiday gifts,” Clark said. “We have a wide variety of handmade creations, starting from $5 and up, so there is something for everyone, from paintings to pottery to jewelry, and more!”
The annual event showcases the talent of many artists and supports a good cause as well. Some of the proceeds from the show will benefit Autism Speaks, a national autism advocacy organization. Clark’s 22-year-old son has autism. “Jonathan has been part of the show since day one,” she noted. “He has sold his color photographs in the past. This year, he has something different — paper logs, made from shredded, pressed paper.”
Participating artists include the following:
• Sue Abare — watercolors/water media
• Zizi Altamore — photography
• Mary McNamara Bernsten — “4 Hooligans” line of clothing based on her children’s artwork
• Beverly Broyles — watercolor paintings, notecards
• Sue Ciaccio — cookie/dessert stands
• Jonathan Clark — paper logs
• Karla Clark — jewelry, crocheted items, collages/paper art
• Linda Cleary — quilted textiles
• Lana Ewing — jewelry
• Gail Faber — portraits/paintings
• Giacomina Francik — jewelry boxes
• Michelle Herbig — hand-sewn creations
• Dana Manarchy — mosaics/mosaic jewelry
• Frank Manarchy Sr. — woodcarvings
• Marybeth Manarchy — calendars, CDs
• Barbara McNamara — paintings, notecards
• John Naretta — paintings
• Sarah Reed — prints
• Paula Sentovich — CDs
• Tony Sink — pottery
• Mary Stephenson — jewelry/paintings
From the Nov. 5-11, 2014, issue