Byron Civic Theatre holds auditions for ‘Noises Off’ Nov. 30
BYRON, Illinois — Byron Civic Theatre (BCT) will hold auditions for Noises Off at 7 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 30, at the theater inside Byron Middle School, 850 N. Colfax, Byron, Illinois.
Performance dates for Noises Off will be Jan. 30-31 and Feb. 1 and 6-8, 2015. The show is part of BCT’s 20th anniversary season of shows.
Noises Off is most often called the funniest farce ever written. It presents a manic menagerie as a cast of itinerant actors rehearsing a flop called Nothing’s On. Doors slamming, on- and offstage intrigue, and an errant herring all figure in the plot of this hilarious and classically comic play. It calls for an ensemble cast willing to take on a play within a play and some hysterical physical comedy.
The production will be directed by Penny Wiegert, one of the original founding members of BCT.
There are parts for four women and five men. Reading parts will be provided at the auditions. Actors will be required to complete an audition form, have their photo taken and provide any conflicts they may have with rehearsals, which will begin in mid-December with table reads and character formation.
Following are the characters and their descriptions:
• Dotty Otley — A late-/middle-aged actress. Plays Mrs. Clackett, the housekeeper for the Brents’ home in England in Nothing’s On.
• Lloyd Dallas — The director of a play-within-the-play, called Nothing’s On.
• Garry LeJeune — A stuttering actor, easily fired up. Plays Roger, the estate agent looking to let the Brent’s house in Nothing’s On.
• Brooke Ashton — A young, inexperienced actress from London. Plays Vicki, who works for the tax authorities and is trying to woo Roger in Nothing’s On.
• Poppy Norton-Taylor — Assistant stage manager.
• Frederick Fellowes — Has a serious fear of violence and blood. Plays Phillip Brent, who lives out of the country with his wife Flavia to avoid paying taxes and is on a secret visit in Nothing’s On.
• Belinda Blair — Cheerful and sensible, a reliable actress. Plays Flavia, Philip Brent’s wife, who is dependable, though not one for household duties in Nothing’s On.
• Tim Allgood — An over-worked stage manager.
• Selsdon Mowbray — Elderly and with actorly mannerisms. Plays Selsdon, a burglar and an old man in his ’70, breaking into the Brents’ house in Nothing’s On.
Posted Nov. 26, 2014