Valkommen Plaza suffers $1,500 in fire damages after resident falls asleep while smoking

Online Staff Report

Local independent living senior center Valkommen Plaza, 310 Seventh St., Rockford, suffered $1,500 in damages after a resident caused a fire after falling asleep while smoking. The incident occurred at around 11 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 7.

There were no injuries. The extent of the damage included burns and smoke damage confined to a bedroom and water damage from the activation of the sprinkler system.

Rockford Fire Department was dispatched to the center on the report of a structure fire. First arriving units found smoke in the hallways of the eighth and ninth floors. After conducting a search of the area, firefighters found an extinguished fire in apartment 911. The occupant of the apartment was later found outside. She said she fell asleep while smoking.

Posted Dec. 8, 2014

You might also like