IDOT to give $2 million for Baxter Road improvements
Online Staff Report
In conjunction with the development of the 186,500-square-foot distribution center by FedEx Ground Packaging Systems in the Rock 39 Industrial Park, which is valued at $24 million, Winnebago County submitted a request for Economic Development Program (EDP) funding with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). Winnebago County has been informed that IDOT will provide $2 million, which is the maximum amount allowed from the EDP, for roadway improvements for 6,300 feet of Baxter Road and 1,600 feet of improvements to Mulford Road with additional turn lanes at the intersection of Baxter Road and Mulford Road.
EDP funding is 50 percent of eligible roadway engineering, contingencies and construction costs in an amount up to, but not exceeding, $2 million.
IDOT also will provide $150,000 in Truck Access Route Program (TARP) funds for this project. This estimated $4,700,000 project includes the following:
• Widening and resurfacing of Baxter Road to a three-lane pavement from the I-39 Interchange to Mulford Road.
• Intersection improvements at Baxter Road and Mulford Road, including additional turn lanes and lighting.
• Pavement will be designed for 120,000-pound truck load limits, increasing transportation cost efficiency.
• Drainage improvements, including new roadway ditches with limited storm sewer construction.
• Completion of water main and sanitary sewer extensions on Baxter Road east of Con-Way Trucking and west of FedEx.
• FedEx is expected to complete construction soon on an 186,000-square-foot building.
Posted Dec. 12, 2014