Editorial: The giving spirit — more ideas
Editor’s note: The following is a follow-up to the Dec. 17-23, 2014, editorial “Got the giving spirit? Here are some places to spread it.” Still missing your favorite? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (815) 964-9767 for consideration in future listings.
By Susan Johnson
Want a few more ideas for holiday giving? Here are a few additions to your list:
• American Red Cross — Rock River Chapter, 727 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61103, (815) 963-8471, redcross.org/rockriver.
• Barbara Olson Center of Hope — 3206 N. Central Ave., Rockford, IL 61101, (815) 964-9275, www.b-olsoncenterofhope.org. The Center has been here for 66 years, serving teens and adults with developmental disabilities, helping them with daily life-skills, classes, job training, sensory therapies, occupational therapies, and much more.
• Community Foundation of Northern Illinois — Gloria Lundin, president, 946 N. Second St., Rockford, IL 61107, (815) 962-2110, http://cfnil.org
• Crusader Community Health — Linda Niemiec, vice president, development, 1200 W. State St., Rockford, IL 61102, (815) 490-1621. Serves the Rock River Valley area with quality health care for all people in need. Health care is provided on an affordable, sliding discount basis. Special programs for persons with HIV/AIDS and the homeless.
• The Rock River Trail — Along the Rock River in Wisconsin and Illinois. The first National Water Trail in Wisconsin and Illinois to be designated by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Rock River Trail Scenic and Historic Route, a 320-mile auto route through 11 counties in two states, provides the traveler with access to the scenic beauty, natural resources and historic and cultural assets of the Rock River Valley. The Rock River Trail Bike Route is a designated on-road and off-road bike route along the river with hiking opportunities for the outdoors recreationist. Various sponsorship levels are available. www.rockrivertrail.com.
• SwedishAmerican Foundation — Established in 1981, the Foundation raises, invests and distributes funds for the benefit of SwedishAmerican Health System and its mission to take care of the Rockford community. This includes SwedishAmerican Hospital, its clinics and the neighborhood surrounding the hospital. It also supports local community health care organizations that further the mission of SwedishAmerican. Info: (815) 961-2496, email@example.com.
Correction: Northern Illinois Food Bank appeared on the original list but informed us that they have a new address. It is 273 Dearborn Ct., Geneva, IL 60134. The phone number and website are correct in the original editorial.
From the Dec. 24-30, 2014, issue