Rockford proposes to regulate private use of property

From the Rockford Apartment Association

Do you own a home in Rockford? Have you ever had a guest or family member live with you?

A proposed change in the law may affect you.

The City of Rockford is taking control over private property in a way that no city, of which we are aware, has done before. If a law being proposed is approved by the city council, property owners will be required to register with the city if they let a person who is not one of the legal owners of the property live with them or in any other property they own.

This applies to non-rental situations. No money needs to be exchanged for the registration requirement to apply. If you let a parent, adult child, boyfriend, girlfriend, or any other person live with you, then you must register with the city or face a fine of up to $750 for each day you have let a person live with you while not registered.

Sound extreme? There is more.

Once you are registered, this proposal would expose you to more penalties if your property is determined to be a nuisance. The proposal defines nuisances as presence of mice, weeds, public drinking, and barking dogs. There are already laws on the books to address these issues. This law adds another layer of government regulation and fines and strengthens the city’s ability to punish you without court intervention.

This proposal has passed a city council committee and will be considered by the full council as soon as Monday May 18th. The council meets at 5:30 at city hall. If this proposed law concerns you then attend that meeting.

If you can’t come to the council meeting then please call your alderman and discuss their vote on the law.

Use this link to find the contact information for your alderman: rockfordil.gov/wards-and-aldermen.aspx.

Read the follow up from the Rockford Apartment Association.

30 thoughts on “Rockford proposes to regulate private use of property

• May 18, 2015 at 1:54 pm

As for this proposal. What is this city coming to when private homeowners are, well, not private anymore, subjected to FINES for having family move home. We bought a home in Rockford, we pay our HUGE taxes and this proposal is a kick in the butt. Who’s bright idea was this? If this is passed, I don’t think I will be alone in helping the already edging toward selling and moving people in this city. BIG GOVERNMENT……..i’m appalled!

• May 19, 2015 at 10:24 am

I’m think Rockford is invading in are personal lives. Praying upon homeowners. Maybe they need to start RHA and scatter houses clean them up oh that’s right Rockford picks on the paying people. And over look poor housing people. Maybe like wisc limited how many can share a bed room. I own my home Rockford who the hell are you to say who Lives in my home. You can’t control your housing,so you want to control owners. Oh i already see more good homeowners leaving Rockford. And city will buy them up and put more housing in. Lets faces it Rockford will become chicago’s dumping grouds for housing. Buy my home in sick of this town.

• May 18, 2015 at 2:06 pm

What more bs for the city to invade our privacy with? And if we dont comply they fine us? What kind of bullshit is that? And how much do you wanna bet if this passes the city is going to charge us to register as well? What a crock of shit. These people running this city are so corrupt that they make our congress look legit.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I actually don’t mind the rule. It helps keep track of who is living at a given residence. If you’re law abiding, and not a nuisance, it shouldn’t be a problem. They are trying to prevent 15 people from living in the same house and parking 10 cars on the block. Also, a home owner is now accountable if they are letting trouble makers live with them. Several of the crimes lately are probably committed by people who don’t even show a record of being from Rockford. The rule isn’t designed to punish or prevent you from letting your elderly parent live with you. It’s designed to prevent your neighbor’s house from becoming a crack house where people are selling drugs, committing prostitution, and other crimes. My hunch is this law has no negative effects on a nice law abiding household. It just adds a layer of accountability for criminals and illegal immigrants. I fail to see what is so horrible about it as our crime rate is skyrocketing. People think you can do anything because you own a house. There are all sorts of rules preventing people from putting up fences or sheds in certain subdivisions, how many cars can be outside, the number of pets and what type you can have, what home improvements you can make, etc. Twenty people living under one roof does not increase the property value of the neighborhood.

• May 21, 2015 at 12:01 am

You made a point to say that violators “park 10 cars on the block” when arguing support then point out that we are already laws on the book restricting “how any cars can be outside” trying to support your argument.
      Bottom line is that this is overreaching, Invasive, and is designed to trump-up charges and leverage to harass people law enforcement wants to use it against.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Okay this us crossing the line! Private home are private for a rwaon. I guess they want ROCKFORD to be a ghost town with a bunch if drug…thugging…shooting…fools!

• May 18, 2015 at 9:50 pm

This is right out of the Communist Manifesto…

Plank I – Complete abolishment of private property ownership rights, and the confiscation of private property…

This therefore completely abolishes private property ownership rights, now the government can come in whenever the want and dictate to anyone about how their own living arrangements can be made, under threat or penalty if not complied with or to.

It really makes a hard struggling community even more of a challenging place to live or conduct business in.

The constitutionality of this draconian “law” should be challenged.

No local government has any legal right or authority to circumvent full due process of law, as protected by the 14th amendment of the United States Constitution.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Fuckin Republicans. And Democrats, Constitutionalist. Free isn’t free.

• May 18, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Taxes(bigger payday for me), is all that matters to politicians.

• May 18, 2015 at 10:10 pm

That is crossing the line with me, bye-bye Rock bottom.

• May 18, 2015 at 10:12 pm

I don’t see what the big deal is about registering anyone living in a home that is NOT the homeowner. Maybe it will STOP 12 adult “relatives” living in a 3 bedroom home. It is NOT a homeowners privacy when the noise and total number of cars in the street are a nuisance to the neighbors. Have you ever tried to file a formal complaint about a non-stop barking dog when you don’t know WHO owns the dog? What can one do when that driveway becomes an auto repair shop because they work on their EIGHT cars at all hours of the night?? So, yeah, I have no problem with registering relatives!! And for all of you that don’t want illegals in the country, maybe this will catch a few!!!

• May 26, 2015 at 2:08 am

But one person living in a home can have them many cars right along with that non stop barking dog. What’s the difference if they got somebody living with them? Next thing you know they going to tell me that I can only have one gallon of milk a month because it’s causing me to pass too much gas. Come on now this is a dumb law and if they agree upon it all they would have left in Rockford are the “law abiding” citizens and the drug dealers selling to their “law abiding” selves. It amazes me how stupid someone must be to even come up with such a stupid law and then have followers. But I guess it gives some people a sense of security but not really because how would my neighbor know who I have on my lease/mortgage? And for that matter why should they care about how many adult relatives are living with me. Are you going to pay any of my bills when they are due? No you are not so don’t worry about what’s going on in my household. Because there are people who lives by themselves and make more noise than people who got twenty people living with them. People family falls on hard times so I have to inform the government each and every time they do.

• May 18, 2015 at 10:18 pm

If you are a homeowner, you should not have to tell anyone who lives in your house. Period. To have to register with the city and list the members of your household is a total invasion of privacy. This better not pass and if it does, I am sure there will be plenty of law suits to deal with.

• May 18, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Hmmm I already posted once and it’s gone… let’s try this again…

My husband is Active Duty in the USArmy. We’ve been unable to sell our home in Rockford for 8 years. Yes folks that’s 8 years of paying taxes for things we never use. The big kicker is because we are not full time residents there we have to even pay higher taxes to Rockford.

City of Rockford has not respect or understanding of Military and the affect their rules have on our families

Thanks again Rockford making it difficult for military families to survive. This is one of many years when my husband retires in 4 years… after 20 years of service, we will not be living in Rockford.

• May 18, 2015 at 11:48 pm

This is unconstitutional. No question. Whoever proposed this is a moron and should probably read Moore v. East Cleveland, 431 U.S. 494 (1977).

• May 18, 2015 at 11:56 pm

This proposal sounds like a violation of our fundamentally protected rights as US citizens going against unlawful search and seizure. Unless one is breaking the law and the police have a warrant to inspect that person’s property the govt has no right in telling us to register household members. The census is the closest they should come simply to discover population. This is NOT Nazi Germany.

• May 19, 2015 at 8:47 am

I personally would not be in my own home or be living as successfully as I am if it was not for someone letting me live with them at one point in my life in Rockford…
    I understand that the city has nothing better to do besides give people fines for just about anything…especially if you are a nuisance type person who doesn’t take care of the property right?

How many people on the board cut there own grass,fix there fences,or get busted for drinking???
    How many have a dog that barks nonstop all hours of the day and night?

Their passing laws they feel are important,
    how about passing a law that requires no potholes over 2″ deep.
    If they want to make some money,
    start making blacktop.

• May 19, 2015 at 9:03 am

As the old saying goes…be careful what you wish for you might just get it. The Rock River Times shouldn’t be surprised by this. What did you expect when you endorsed Morrissey for mayor?

• May 19, 2015 at 9:16 am

Rockford is broke??? Now let’s see them explain who’s going to pay to enforce this bulls hit law. Invasion of privacy at it’s best. Next thing they’ll sneak in a law they can search your home at any time without permission. These morons can’t deal with the murders and shootings, the drug related deaths on the rise, and screwed up district 205. Personally I also feel this is more racism against minorities. Whose neighborhood will be targeted first and always. Not the mayors or any of the well off. It’s time to hang onto our rights and freedoms.

• May 19, 2015 at 9:20 am

This doesn’t sound like a great idea. There will be more people moving out of Rockford while government officials are trying to draw in more tourists wit building the round about. That which was another stupid idea when They could have used those several millions of dollars to fix our streets. If you own your own house, pay taxes, garbage, sewage, water, electricity, gas, mortgages and what ever else I think they should just leave things alone with that and focus on what is more important like our kids schools and fixing our roads and stopping crime in its tracks!

• May 19, 2015 at 10:08 am

I want to know who came up with this law and why. Nothing I have read states why the city wants to implement this. Is it because of the way certain minorities live with multiple families under one roof? I am certain the city has not done their due diligence as I am quite confident this new law is un-Constitutional. Of course, ya can’t hit the minorities without the threat of racism so it has to be passed to every over-taxed citizen in the community. Why did I choose to buy a house in Rockford?

• May 19, 2015 at 10:32 am

Too many issues with this. Who clarifies and makes the definitions between “visiting ” and “living with” when you have family visit from out of town frequently? You are making people want to leave Rockford and not come to Rockford to live. If a home is rented and has the issue who is responsible for the fines? This is fraught with too many horrible repercussions for your community and its residents. This level of control is a police state and not worth it. Do not do this!

• May 19, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Who sponsored this proposal? What problem, issue, concern was it attempting to address? How will this be administered and enforced? Since I’m writing this on May 19, what actually happened and how did people vote? I appreciate that this was brought to our attention by the Rockford Apartment Association, but I’m hoping that the RRT will follow up on this.

• May 19, 2015 at 12:59 pm

i was just reading this article on what the city of Rockford is planning on doing. My husband and I do not live there but we both are retired now and we was trying to decide if we wanted to move there are not . I do not live in the state of Illinois but I have relatives that live there. I think I will look some where else. Because the next thing they will do is want you to let them know when you have company or when your grandchildren come to visit. Thank you but no thank you.

• May 19, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Isn’t this something akin to Communism? I moved out of Rockford with my family and am so very glad I did. In fact, we moved into a different state! How happy am I here in Arkansas? Let’s put it this way. I’d NEVER move back! The only reason we come up there now is for funerals, to see family, and for nothing else. Get out while you can, before they start taxing your moves out or the city! Those people are crazy!

• May 19, 2015 at 5:42 pm

2nd ward alderman needs to vote no on this. We bought our home and we keep up those terrible taxes so whose business is it who we have living in our home. City needs to focus on all the shotting instead of trying to get more money out of us. I swear I’m ready to move out of Rockford. Too much crap.

• May 19, 2015 at 6:00 pm

The proposal is outright laughable and I’m sure the Supreme Court would have a field day with this if it did pass since it would violate the right to “free enjoyment!” Even more hysterical to think about, what resources would Rockford use to enforce the new law when the jails are already overcrowded and they don’t have enough personnel to keep the streets safe? Glad I left Rockford years ago!

• May 19, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I was born and raised in Rockford. I left there thirty-five years ago to live in the south, and except for leaving relatives, I’ve never regretted it. I realize that there are crazy things that go on everywhere, but this proposal tops the cake. It’s really none of the cities business if your relatives, or friends, live in your house as long as they aren’t wanted criminals. People of Rockford, please stand up for yourselves, because if you don’t all of your human rights will eventually be taken away. Think about it!

• May 20, 2015 at 10:59 am

Just one more reason I need to get the h out of this town and state.

Comments are closed.