A local music educator from the Rockford Public Schools will be presented with the Outstanding Music Educator of the Year Award at the Rockford Symphony Orchestra Golden Ball on February 27. The criteria for the winner is someone who uses creative, positive ways to connect to children through music. This award recognizes someone who inspires a love of music in people of northern Illinois.
Nominees were decided upon by RPS 205 teachers, with the finalists being selected after view by a panel of musicians and educators. The four music teachers that were picked as finalists are Jennifer Loomis from Montessori, Lisa Weckerly from Marsh Elementary, Lisa Eaton from King Elementary, and Dianna Heddinger from Eisenhower Middle School.
The following standard was used for nomination for the Outstanding Music Educator of the Year Award:
- Made a lasting difference in the lives of students of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Routinely goes “above and beyond the call of duty” by extending efforts beyond the classroom.
- Makes a significant impact on their community through music education.
- Instills a life-long appreciation of music in their students.
- Inspires students to reach appropriately high levels of musical understanding and ability.
- Demonstrates longevity in the field of music education by their many years of work.
The Rockford Symphony Orchestra’s Golden Ball will be held at the Coronado Performing Arts Center on Saturday, February 27 beginning at 5:30 p.m. To purchase tickets call 815-965-0049.