University of Illinois Extension DeKalb County has organized a free, family-friendly event called the DeKalb County Farm Stroll.
The event is a self-guided tour of 11 diversified family farms and one agricultural museum in DeKalb County, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, July 24.
There will be farm tours, demonstrations and of course fresh local food sampling and sales. While the Stroll is a free event, bring some cash to purchase food or other items at the farms.
To make this an enjoyable event for you and your family, here are a few Farm Stroll guidelines:
- Dress appropriately for a farm visit.
- Be sure to follow all the farmer’s instructions and be respectful of all the animals.
- Wash your hands regularly and wear shoe covers if instructed to.
- For the safety of livestock and other participants, do not bring your pets.
- Turn in a completed Farm Stroll Passport at any of the farms for a chance to win prizes.
There is no beginning or end to the Farm Stroll; just choose which farms you want to see, gather your friends and family, and enjoy a relaxing, educational and fun afternoon.
More information about each farm and the times of tours and activities they will be holding can be found on the brochure and map located on the DeKalb County Extension website at web.extension.illinois.edu/bdo.
You can also pick up the brochure at the DeKalb County Extension office located, 1350 W. Prairie Dr. Sycamore before the event.