Park District opens cooling centers during heat wave
Rockford Park District has opened a number of locations across the city for persons who need to escape the crushing, dangerous heat.
The public is welcome to come to any of the locations below during select hours to escape the heat:
- Riverview Ice House, 324 N. Madison St., Rockford
- Thursday – 5-8 p.m.
- Friday – 4-8 p.m.
- Carlson Ice Arena, 4150 N. Perryville Rd., Loves Park
- Thursday – 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday – 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Webbs Norman Center Lobby, 401 S. Main St., Rockford
- Thursday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mercy Indoor Sports Center, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park
- Thursday – 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday – 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
In addition, automatic spray pads can be activated by the push of a button, regardless of temperature, from 1-8 p.m. daily at the following locations:
- Beattie Playground (1251 Rural St., Rockford)
- Bloom School Playground (2901 Pelham Road, Rockford)
- Brown Park (2010 N. Main St., Rockford)
- Churchill Park (2002 7th Ave., Rockford)
- Harmon Park (1924 East Gate Pkwy., Rockford)
- Keye-Mallquist Park (1702 11th St., Rockford)
- Liberty Park (1555 Morgan St., Rockford)
- Mandeville Park (650 Montague Road, Rockford)
- S. Henrietta Park (527 S. Henrietta St., Rockford)
- Washington Park (3617 Delaware St., Rockford)
RPD also offers spray pads that can be activated based upon the heat index. When the heat index is at least 95 degrees, RPD will automatically activate the spray pads from 1-5 p.m. When the heat index is over 100 degrees, the Rockford Park District will activate the spray pads from 1-8 p.m. Below is a list of these locations:
- Black Hawk Park (101 15th Ave., Rockford)
- Dahlquist Park (3251 Oak Grove Ave., Rockford)
For more information, visit rockfordparkdistrict.org.