PARKLAND, Fla.– Florida Gov. Rick Scott is calling on FBI Director Christopher Wray to resign after learning the bureau failed to follow up on a tip that Nikolas Cruz desired to kill people in a mass shooting.
“Seventeen innocent people are dead and acknowledging a mistake isn’t going to cut it,” Scott said in a statement.
The mistake, Scott says, is the FBI’s failure to follow up on Jan. 5 tip regarding Cruz’s gun ownership, erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.
“We constantly promote ‘see something, say something,’” the statement continued, “and a courageous person did just that to the FBI. And the FBI failed to act. ‘See something, say something’ is an incredibly important tool and people must have confidence in the follow through from law enforcement. The FBI Director needs to resign.”
The FBI acknowledged it did not swiftly act on a tip to its hotline that Cruz was dangerous.
Other officials, including U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, also chided the FBI Friday. Rubio said it was “inexcusable” that federal officials did not follow procedure. He also called on Congress to investigate why.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions has ordered a review of what the Justice Department did after the FBI received the tip. Sessions said that the attack that took 17 lives was a “tragic consequence” of the FBI’s failures.
Authorities say Cruz was a competitive marksman who learned to shoot through a youth program funded by the National Rifle Association. He had been expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where he killed 14 students and three teachers Wednesday afternoon.
The NRA had no comment. R.
— with Associated Press reports