Police say shooting that wounded toddler misreported
ROCKFORD — Detectives investigating a home invasion during which a toddler was shot last week say the events did not occur as witnesses say, Rockford Police Lt. Kurt Whisenand reported.
The exact circumstances of the incident and the manner in which the victim was injured are still under investigation, he said.
What authorities do know is that just after 4 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 11, officers from the Rockford Police Department responded to a residence in the 800 block of Concord Avenue in reference to a report of a home invasion. When they arrived, officers were told by the occupants that an unknown black male suspect, who was armed with a handgun, had forced his way into the residence. He fired one shot, which wounded a 2-year-old boy.
The child was transported to a local hospital where he was treated for non-life threatening injuries. He has since been released.
Police say nothing was taken from the home. Timothy A. Sikes, 24, was taken into custody on an unrelated probation violation, but was not a suspect in the shooting. R.