Free meals for children and teens continue through May
ROCKFORD – The Community Action Agency of Winnebago and Boone Counties, in partnership with YMCA of Rock River Valley; Rockford Housing Authority; Rockford Park District; and Lifescape Community Services, will continue to deliver free meals to children and teens through May.
“The COVID-19 shutdown has created barriers for families to access food,” City of Rockford Community Programs Manager Christoper Greenwood said in a release. “Many local students who received their meals at school lost this service when the schools closed.”
Children 2-18 are eligible for meals. Children do not need to be present.
Lifescape will continue providing meals on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to the YMCA and community centers. Grab-and-go lunches will be available at the following locations and times:
- YMCA Swedish American Riverfront, 200 Y Blvd., 11-11:40 a.m.
- Citgo, 4315 Auburn St., Noon-12:40p.m.
- The Grove at New Towne, 690 S. New Towne Drive, 1:20 p.m.-1:40 p.m.
- Mulford Park Apartments, 444 Gramercy Drive, 1:50 p.m.-2:10 p.m.
- Orton Keyes, 633 Ranger St., 2:30 p.m.-2:50p.m.
- Blackhawk Courts, 330 15th Ave., 3-3:20pm
- Fairgrounds Valley, 1015 W. Jefferson St., 3:30 p.m.-3:50pm
- Kenrock Community Center, 3218 11th St., 2-2:40pm
- Washington Park Community Center, 3617 Delaware St., 11 a.m.-Noon
- Wantz Park, 600 Clifford Ave., Loves Park, 11 a.m.-Noon
Meals consist of two lunches and two snacks. Lunches are first-come, first-serve.
Greenwood reminds everyone to follow social distance guidelines and stay a minimum of six feet apart while standing in line.
There will be no meal service Monday May 25.