ROCKFORD – The Rockford Public Library is making internet accessible to the public by keeping its wireless network live and accessible from parking lots during regular library hours while the facilities are closed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
People are welcome to park at any of the library locations and access the Internet from their cars in order to work, communicate, or enjoy online entertainment. Social distancing is advised; people are asked not to gather in groups or be closer than six feet from one another.
RPL’s wireless network will be on during the regular open hours of each branch.
- Hart Interim Library: Monday -Thursday, 9 a.m.- 8 p.m., 214 N. Church St., 815-965-7606; Friday and Saturday, 9 a.m. -5 p.m.
- East Branch Library: Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m . – 8 p.m., 6685 E. State St.; 815-966-2748; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
- Montague Branch: Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., 1238 S. Winnebago St., 815-966-2740; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Rock River Branch: Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., 3128 11th St., 815-966-2763; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Rockton Centre: Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., 3112 N. Rockton Ave., 815-966-2776; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
“We know the public depended on us for access to the internet. Before Shelter-in-place the Rockford Public Library Public WiFi network would regularly see over 600 internet connections each day, system-wide,” RPL Executive Director Lynn Stainbrook said. “Where we’re disappointed about having to limit our in-person service, we’re glad to be able to offer people some connectivity through their personal devices, in our parking lots.”