SwedishAmerican names Rachel Galliano Nurse of the Year
ROCKFORD – SwedishAmerican has named Rachel Galliano this year Daisy Foundation’s Nurse of the Year.
The Daisy Award is the highest honor given to a SwedishAmerican nurse each year.
A pediatric registered nurse, Galliano was surprised with the award by her colleagues May 12 at a breakfast honoring National Nurses Week at SwedishAmerican Hospital. The Daisy Award was one of several honors handed out during the event.
Co-workers nominated Galliano by submitting the following story: “When a child arrived at our pediatric unit as a result of sustained abuse, Rachel went above and beyond providing medical care and patient education to this vulnerable child. Rachel understood this patient was in a fragile emotional state and skillfully provided age-appropriate information in small tidbits.”
Upon discharge, Rachel gave the child a guardian angel figurine, a physical embodiment of Rachel’s love, care and brightest hopes for this child. When the child was asked by other staff members what she wanted to be when she grew up, the child replied with a smile, “I want to be a nurse.’”
The Daisy Foundation is a national organization established by Mark and Bonnie Barnes to honor the exceptional nursing care their son, Patrick, received while battling ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura). By honoring the nurses who go “above and beyond” with the Daisy Award, healthcare organizations have an outstanding tool to add focus to their patient/family-centered care throughout the year.
Other award winners from Tuesday’s Nurses Week award ceremony at SwedishAmerican include:
- Nichole Burfield, Transformational Leader Nurse of the Year
- Santa Romero-Arvidson, Structural Empowerment Nurse of the Year
- Breann Vucsko, Exemplary Professional Practice Nurse of the Year
- Jennifer “Ginger” El Brichi, New Knowledge, Innovations and Improvements Nurse of the Year
- Nicholas Russell, Allied Professional Help Award
- Grace Hipe, Preceptor Inpatient Nurse of the Year Award
- Scott Roberts, Preceptor Outpatient Nurse of the Year Award
- Amanda Huber, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse of the Year Award
- Jennifer Timbush, BEE Award